These questions are developed to answer some of the most common questions that students ask about reaching their educational goals. If you need further information, contact your advisor.

How do I find my assigned advisor?

Your assigned advisor's name and email address are listed in your myWebAdvisor Profile. You can find your advisor’s office location and phone extension on the online Faculty/Staff Directory.

Do I have to see my advisor to register for classes?

No, you can register yourself in My Web Advisor but it is always good to double check with your advisor about the courses you are taking to ensure you are on track toward meeting graduation requirements. Your advisor is there to help you understand college policies and direct you to resources at the college that may help you.

How do I ensure that I am taking the right courses for my program of study or major?

You can double check with your advisor, print out a Curriculum Guide on your Program of Study web page, or go to My Web Advisor and use Program Evaluation.  Program Evaluation allows you to see what courses you have completed and still need to complete that are required for your program of study.  It’s important that you choose an active program to evaluate to ensure that you are evaluating your progress toward completing your degree with your “Catalog of Record.”  The catalog of record is the official catalog you began with for your current program of study. For example, a students who started Fall 2011 would use the 2011-13 catalog as their catalog of record.

How do I know my courses will transfer to a four year college?

The Associate in Arts and the Associate in Science degree programs are articulated curriculum through the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement or CAA with the University of North Carolina and private North Carolina colleges who sign on to the agreement. The courses required for those degree programs are transferable and are listed on the CAA Course List in the current catalog

How do I change my program of study or major?

See your advisor first, and then submit a Student Information Change form. The form is also available at any campus Student Success Office. Please be aware that when you change your major, you are subject to the requirements listed in the College Catalog or the Catalog of Record in effect at the time of the change. You should discuss your decision with an academic advisor and a financial aid counselor to learn how changing your major will affect you.

Can I have a double major at COA?

A student cannot be coded under two majors. However, a student may earn one degree (or diploma or certificate) and then complete another degree (or diploma or certificate). Once you complete one program, you will then be coded in the second program as you continue to earn credits.

Will my advisor change if I change my program of study?

Yes, your advisor will change to an advisor who teaches or advises students primarily in your program of study.

Where do I go if I am having trouble being successful in a class?

You should first speak to your instructor, who can help you determine the areas you need to work on and can make suggestions for improving your performance. If you need tutoring assistance, visit the Tutoring Center in Building C, Room 139 on the Elizabeth City campus or any campus Student Success office. Tutoring is available in a variety of subjects. If you are a student at one of the county centers, please contact the staff there about setting up tutoring. If you need to speak to someone else about problems you are having, you can make an appointment with your academic advisor to discuss other possible solutions.

What do I do if I need to withdraw from a class after classes have started?

This depends on when you decide to stop attending.  Before the semester or course starts a student may drop a course in My Web Advisor.  If you withdraw or drop after the first day of the semester or course, but within the 10 percent point of a semester (which is generally the first 8 days of a 16 week semester), you must fill out a Registration change form and submit it to the Registrar’s or Student Success office. Keep in mind the 10 percent point is different depending on whether you are in an 8 or 12 or 16 week semester course. If you withdraw or drop within the 10 percent point the course will not appear on your transcript, and you may be eligible for a 75 percent tuition refund.

If you stop attending after the ten percent point and before the Withdrawal Deadline (last day to withdraw in semester and receive a “W”), you will need to fill out a Course Withdraw form, and a "W" will appear on your transcript. Be aware that after the Withdrawal Deadline your instructor may award a grade of F. Don't just stop attending and assume COA will withdraw you automatically. If the Course Withdraw form is not submitted by the published Withdrawal Deadline, you must see the course instructor and the grade will be assigned by the instructor.

The Registration Change and Course Withdraw forms are available from your advisor, instructor, or online at the Academic Advising Forms and Resources page.

If you need to withdraw totally from the college for medical or other reasons, contact your advisor and the Financial Aid Office.

How do I transfer courses in from another college?

You must have an official transcript sent from your previous institution directly to COA’s Registrar’s Office. The transcript must come in a sealed envelope and may be brought in by a student. Your coursework will be evaluated based on your major at COA, and you will be awarded transfer credit for courses applicable to that major. For a course to be transferable, it must be from an accredited college or university, have a grade of C or better, and be equivalent to a COA course in content.

A student may transfer in a maximum of 75 percent of credits toward an associate’s degree program at COA.

Can I repeat a course?

The College allows a student to repeat a course for any reason more than once. All attempts and grades will show on the transcript, but only the highest grade will be used in calculating the cumulative GPA.

Is there a grade forgiveness policy at COA?

Any former College of The Albemarle student who has experienced a lapse of enrollment at College of The Albemarle for a period of two consecutive academic years may petition only once to the Vice President, Learning, to have all course work not related to a new program of study, or any below-average grades (grades D or F) disregarded in calculating the student’s grade point average. Upon re-enrolling following the lapse, the student must first complete 12 semester hours of non-developmental course work with a minimum 2.0 GPA before requesting grade forgiveness. If the request is approved, the record of the earlier course work affected remains on the student’s transcript but is not calculated in the cumulative GPA and does not apply toward graduation. Honors, if applicable, will be awarded based upon the new, Fresh Start GPA. Eligibility for student financial aid is not subject to fresh start calculations.

Where can I find more academic policies at COA?

The college catalog contains all the policies relative to your program of study and other academic policies. You can review the Academic Policies in the current catalog.

I don't know what to do with my life. Can anyone help me?

The ultimate decision about the direction to take with your education and career is up to you, but a number of career-exploration resources are available as you try to make these decisions. COA offers a number of Career Services.

The college has specific, up-to-date information on careers including employment outlook, salaries, ability requirements, descriptions of responsibilities, salary predictions, etc. on the Career Tracks website. Students can also do self-exploration through computerized career search tools.

Individual counselors and advisors are available to meet with you to help you use the materials listed above as well as clarify your goals, areas of interest, and abilities.

For more information, visit Career Services.

Back to Top