Academics >> Basic & Transitional Studies >> AHS-Adult High School Program

AHS-Adult High School Program
Untitled document

What is AHS?

The Adult High School (AHS) program is designed to give those individuals who have not completed their high school education an opportunity to earn an Adult High School Diploma. The program is provided in cooperation with our local school systems and consists of the core units required for high school graduation as determined by the North Carolina Standard Course of Study. Adult High School programming at the Elizabeth City campus consists of classroom instruction, learning laboratory courses, distance education, or a combination of these delivery methods. At other COA campuses, the AHS program is available online only. AHS students have the opportunity to develop a range of skills which qualify them to succeed in the labor market or to enter technical, vocational, or college transfer programs offered by local community colleges. An AHS graduate is able to apply to a 4-year university if the admission requirements of the institution are met. There is no charge for the AHS program.


Can I take adult high school classes online?

Many of the AHS courses are available online. A student must attend an orientation program at one of our campus locations to complete registration paperwork and assessments. Also, students are required to come to campus to take mid-term and final exams as well as assessment post-tests.

Please contact Dwan Turner for more information about our AHS online program - (252) 335-0821 x 2991 dwan_turner@albemarle.edu


Can I take traditional classes?

AHS courses are available in the classroom or in an open lab setting at the Elizabeth City campus. At the Edenton-Chowan and Dare campuses, classes are only available online. 


What do I do first?

Students who are 16 or 17 years old must reside in Chowan, Gates, Pasquotank, Camden or Currituck County in order to enroll in the AHS program at COA. Minors must complete a notarized parent permission form and obtain the signatures of the principal and superintendent of the last high school they attended. This minor release form is available at our campus locations. Students who last attended public school in Pasquotank County should obtain this form from the Dropout Prevention Coordinator: Kevin Sawyer (252) 335-0042,  ksawyer@ecpps.k12.nc.us

All students must be officially withdrawn from their previous high school. Students of traditional high school age will be asked to provide a signed withdrawal form from their last high school.

Students interested in earning their AHS diploma must supply an official transcript from each high school attended. Transcripts from home schools will be accepted if the home school was registered with the NC Division of Non-Public Instruction.

When the necessary documents have been collected, a student may contact the Basic and Transitional Studies Program at any COA location to make an appointment for the next available orientation session.


How long will it take me to finish?

The length of time needed to complete the AHS program varies depending on how many courses are required and how often a student works in the courses. Students work at their own pace, but must finish a class within one year of beginning the course.


How many credits do I need?

When all of a student’s high school transcripts have been collected, a list is made of the remaining courses that will be required for graduation from the AHS program. Graduation requirements are based on the requirements that were in place when a student entered ninth grade, as set by the NC Department of Public Instruction.

Students who are 16 or 17 years of age must complete the same graduation requirements that are set by the public high school in their county of residence. 


What happens when I finish?

When all course requirements have been met for graduation, a transcript and an Adult High School Diploma will be generated. Transcripts are provided free of charge and can be sent to a school or employer if a release form is signed by the student. The AHS Diploma is signed by the COA president and chairman of the board as well as the local county school officials.

A graduation ceremony is held every May at the Elizabeth City campus to recognize all AHS and GED graduates for the school year.



Back to Top