North Carolina General Statute 115D-39 enables North Carolina nonprofits to sponsor up to five North Carolina community college students lawfully admitted to the U.S. and currently residing in the state. The rule requires the nonprofit to accept financial responsibility for the student’s educational fees and tuition at the in-state tuition rate. This sponsorship is not the same as required for a student to secure an F-1 visa.
College of The Albemarle (COA) believes the spirit and text of the rule prohibits the expectation that the student will reimburse the nonprofit sponsor. The nonprofit cannot simply act as a conduit for the payment of in-state tuition.
To sponsor a student:
- Complete a nonprofit sponsorship application from COA (for first-time COA student sponsors). The nonprofit will need to be exempt from taxation under Internal Revenue Service (IRS) section 501c, and provide a copy of both the Federal Tax Identification Number and the Income in Respect of a Decedent (IRD) designation of North Carolina nonprofit status (IRS 501C3).
- Submit a letter for each term, on official letterhead with the organization’s name and address, to Martha Johnson, principal designated school official (PDSO). Please include the following information:
- Name of the COA student being sponsored. Please make sure the name is spelled correctly.
- Applicable term (for example, spring 2016).
- Name and signature of the authorizing individual.
- Statement that the organization agrees to accept financial responsibility for the student’s tuition and other educational fees.
- Once your documentation is confirmed, the letter will be entered into the student’s file. To avoid having their classes dropped, students will need to turn in a letter before the payment deadline. Payment deadlines are provided during the registration period and reminder emails are sent to student COA email accounts. Students will be contacted if there is an issue with their letter or sponsor eligibility.
- The nonprofit will be billed directly for the balance of the student’s account. Tuition bills are sent out after the start of classes for the term listed. Payment is expected within thirty days of billing.
College of The Albemarle
Attn: Martha Johnson
132 Russell Twiford Rd.
Manteo, NC 27954
Assistant Dean, Student Success and Enrollment Management
Dare County Campus: 104A
252-473-2264 ext. 7012