Website Accessibility Statement
College of The Albemarle (COA) launched its new website in June 2016, and since then we’ve worked to make it accessible to the widest possible audience.
As administrators of www.albemarle.edu, we strive to comply with the best practices and standards as defined by Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act and level AA of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0, which explains how to make web content more accessible to people with disabilities.
We run each web page through the W3C compliant validation product, Siteimprove™, software which produces exhaustive lists of a website’s noncompliance (errors, warnings and reviews) for levels A, AA and AAA.
We’ll continue to test this site to make sure that the content is accessible to all visitors.
This site includes the following accessibility features:
- Cascading style sheets (CSS) for visual layout.
- Image “alternative” or “alt” tags and long descriptions.
- Closed-captioned videos embedded through COA’s YouTube™ channel.
- A “skip to content” link, a feature that allows users to ignore navigation menus and jump directly to the main content of a page.
We’re currently working to fix the following areas of noncompliance:
- Some pages contain non-distinguishable links (“Net Price Calculator” and the “ED Gainful Employment Disclosure” pages).
- Some features contain in-line styling.
- Completed August 2016: Add “skip to content” links, a feature that allows screenreaders to bypass navigation and jump to the main content of a page (Level A).
- Completed September 2016: Recode scripts that produce non-distinguishable links and images that lack alt text on the home page (Level A).
- Completed September 2016: Replace custom Facebook™ API feed, which lack alt tags on images, with an accessible social plugin (Level A).
- Completed October 2016: Create an accessible template for our news archives (Level A).
- Completed November 2016: Replace Font Awesome™ icons with images that contain alt text (Level A).
- Completed December 2016: Replace Ninja Forms™ plugin with Contact Form 7™, which allows more control over forms (Level A).
- Completed January 2017: Rebuild HTML files exported from Datatel™, a program that produces COA’s curriculum class schedules (Level A).
- Completed February 2017: Remove images that contain text (Level AA).
- In Progress: Create higher text/background color contrast (Level AA).
- In Progress: Add “focus” highlighting element to input fields and iframes (Level AA).
- Repair or replace non-compliant “Google Custom Search” feature, which contains in-line styling and input errors (Level A).
- Recode the compliance errors in the “Net Price Calculator” and the “ED Gainful Employment Disclosure” templates, which are both provided by the U.S. Department of Education (Level A).
- Add unique element identifiers and input field descriptions (Level A).
- Add link identifiers (Level A).
- Recode automated, non-distinguishable links such as those reading “Read More” (Level A).
- Correct coded “landmarks” to clarify regions of each page (Level A).
- Remove images that contain text (Level AA).
- Create higher text/background color contrast for certain sections (Level AA).
- W3C Accessibility Guidelines, which explains the reasons behind each guideline.
- U.S. Federal Government Section 508 Accessibility Guidelines.
Page last modified: Feb. 24, 2017.