College Transfer
Untitled document

Transferring to a Four Year University

The College Transfer program at College of The Albemarle (COA) is designed to meet the two-year general education requirements of four-year colleges and universities. The curriculum is sufficiently broad-based to allow students, after two years of study, to transfer with junior-level status in almost any academic or pre-professional field. COA offers two college transfer programs, the Associate in Arts (AA) and the Associate in Science (AS). Within both of the associate degree programs students can graduate with a 44 Core General Education Diploma. The courses offered within these transfer programs are articulated to transfer to any University of North Carolina (UNC) system university and most private colleges in North Carolina through the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement or CAA. The CAA identifies COA courses that are appropriate for transfer as the required general education core and elective classes. Those specific COA courses that meet the general education core and elective requirements for the UNC system and other colleges are listed on the CAA Course List in the catalog.

The CAA enables graduates of the AA and AS degree programs to transfer to constituent UNC institutions with junior status. Students earning the 44 Core General Education Diploma in either arts or science do not have to repeat any general education requirements at a UNC institution and transfer with sophomore status. Most of the UNC system universities require students to transfer with a minimum of 30 semester hours. Articulation agreements for the Associate in Fine Arts (AFA) and several Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree programs have been developed with Elizabeth City State University, East Carolina University, and other UNC system universities.


Steps to Transferring to a Four-Year College

1. Plan & Choose a Field of Study

  • Choose the major you plan to take at the four-year college as soon as possible as most colleges and universities have major prerequisites and/or requirements that should be completed during your first two years at COA. If you are not sure of a major, meet with the Director, Counseling and Career Development.

2. Research the College or University That You Would Like to Attend

  • Use the Internet to explore transfer information (See college links below)
  • Tour the college/university that interests you
  • Talk to a college or university admissions counselor about program requirements, especially if you have transfer credits from other academic institutions and CLEP or AP credit

3. Submit an Application Early

  • March 1 for fall, September 1 for spring


Transfer Admissions

Transfer admission requirements vary at four year colleges but most require transfer students to have a minimum number of transferable credits, a specified GPA, and specific coursework some general education areas like English or college level math. For colleges outside of North Carolina and or who have not endorsed the CAA it is important that you consult with the transfer admissions representative or web page to make sure you meet the admission requirements at those colleges.

UNC Transfer Admissions

All the UNC System Universities require a transfer student who did not complete the UNC minimum course requirements (MCR) in high school to qualify for admission in one of the following ways:

  • Complete an AA and AS degree from a NC Community College.
  • Complete the NC Community College General Education Core Requirements (44 credits) with no grade lower than a "C" (COA offers a diploma for students who complete the general education core for either the AA or AS degree)
  • Complete 6 semester transferable hours in each of the following areas: English, mathematics, science, social science, and foreign language.
  • A student who will have reached his or her 24th birthday by the date of enrollment may be eligible for performance-based admission as a non-traditional student.

Students who met the UNC MCR in high school can transfer at any time but may have to compete for admission as freshmen if they have less than 30 transferable credit hours.


Transfer Admissions Web Links

Below are transfer admission links of four-year colleges and universities that endorse the North Carolina CAA . Use the links to learn more about the college’s specific transfer admission policies, transfer course equivalencies, and specific program or major requirements. Most of the colleges have online applications that you can access on the web. For college specific scholarship information see the college's web page and for other scholarships go to College Transfer Scholarships.

North Carolina Colleges Endorsing CAA

Appalachian State University Livingston College Saint Augustine's College
Barton College Mars Hill College Shaw University
Belmont Abbey College Meredith College UNC Asheville
Bennett College Montreat College UNC Chapel Hill *
Brevard College Mount Olive College UNC Charlotte
Campbell University NC A&T University UNC Fayetteville
Catawba College North Carolina Central University UNC Greensboro
Chowan College North Carolina State University UNC Pembroke
East Carolina University North Carolina Wesleyan College UNC Wilmington
Elizabeth City State University North Carolina School of the Arts Warren Wilson College
Fayetteville State University Peace College Western Carolina University
Gardner-Webb University Pfeiffer University Wingate University
Johnson C. Smith University Queens University Winston-Salem State
  St. Andrews Presbyterian College  

* Students planning to transfer to UNC Chapel Hill should complete the 44 general education core diploma or an AA or AS degree.

Special 2 + 2 and Associate in Applied Science Transfer Programs

ECSU Computer Technology
ECU Engineering (Biomedical, Mechanical, and Systems)
ECU Industrial Technology (Architecture, Computer, and Industrial)
ECU Marine Science/Biology
RN to BSN STEP Center at COA


North Carolina Colleges Not Endorsing CAA

Some of these colleges have selective admissions and will require SAT and or ACT scores along with essays and letters of recommendations. You can sign up for the SAT at www.collegeboard.com and/or the ACT at www.act.org.

Davidson College Lees McRae College
Duke University Lenoir Rhyne College
Elon University Methodist College
Greensboro College Salem College
Guilford College Wake Forest University
High Point University  


Virginia Colleges

Old Dominion University
Norfolk State University
Regent University
Virginia Wesleyan College

More Virginia Colleges


Other Colleges

All U.S. Colleges & Universities

Transfer Resources

Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (UNC system web page)
CAA Course Listing – COA specific transferable courses
College Transfer Guide
Transfer Student Guarantees (CFNC web page)
Transfer Assured Admissions Policy (CFNC web page)


COA Transfer Rate and Success at the UNC System Universities

Colleges of the Albemarle students have transferred successfully to four-year colleges since its first graduate in 1962. The UNC Transfer Student Performance Report reflects the number and quality of COA students transferring to the UNC System. In 2008, 38 percent of the AA and AS graduates at COA transferred to a UNC system university and earned an average GPA of 3.22. To view these reports go to the UNC Transfer Student Performance Reports page.


For assistance with transferring please contact the following counselors.

Elizabeth City Campus: John M. Wells, Director, Counseling and Career Development, Building AE room 124, 252-335-0821 x 2243 john_wells@albemarle.edu.

Edenton-Chowan Campus: Dr. Amanda Hodges, Assistant Dean, 252-482-7900 x 2404, amanda_hodges@albemarle.edu

Dare Campus: Katherine Dunavant, Counselor/Advisor Room 109 (A) 252-473-2264 x 222, katherine_dunavant@albemarle.edu

Back to Top