Students >> International Students >> F-1 Visas for students overseas

F-1 Visas for students overseas

Thank you for your interest in our College! We are international student friendly and would be most happy to assist you in obtaining an F-1student visa. We can assist you in obtaining a visa while you’re in your country. It is possible for you to obtain a student visa to study at our college for three years.

The cost for applying for an F-1 visa from outside the United States is $200, which is the fee for registering you in SEVIS (I-901 fee). COA does not charge any fees for assisting you with the change of status request. You must pay the I-901 fee before your consular appointment.  The I-901 fee may be paid on-line at www.fmjfee.com.

If you’re interested in obtaining an F-1 student visa, please follow these six steps:

Step 1

Complete an admissions application and submit it online.

Step 2

Before we can issue you the appropriate documentation for you to present at the U.S. Consular Office in your country, we must be able to determine that you meet our minimum requirements in reading, writing and math. International students who are overseas must take a TOEFL exam in order to verify that they have the necessary skills in English and Reading to succeed in academic courses. The minimum TOEFL scores are as follows: Internet Based – 40, Paper Based- 425, Computer Based – 120. International students who take a TOEFL overseas must take the college placement test once they enter the United States.

Step 3

Provide us with original high school and university transcripts in your native language and the English translations of these transcripts. Transcript information.

Step 4

Provide us with a letter(s) from a sponsor(s) (sample letter) indicating that they are willing to help you financially while you study here. You are not permitted to work until you have completed your first fall and spring semesters, so the purpose of the sponsor is to show that you’ll have financial support while you study here.  You may use one person as your sponsor, or several persons, but all should be private individuals. We discourage using businesses or companies as this gives the appearance that you may be employed by your sponsor. In addition, you may use sponsors that are not in the United States, and you may self-sponsor if you have the financial resources. If you are self-sponsoring, you will need to provide a letter stating such. COA needs only a copy of the letters as you’ll be required to present the originals at your appointment with the U.S. Consular Office in your country.

Step 5

Provide us with the last three months of consecutive, original bank statements proving that you or your sponsor has a balance of at least $17,000 in the equivalent of U.S. dollars. If you have more than one sponsor, we will need three bank statements from each person. If your sponsor is providing bank documentation from another country, we recommend that you provide (instead of monthly statements) a letter which shows a three-month accounting of your sponsor’s balances. This letter must be officially translated to English and the financial information must be converted to U.S. dollars. COA needs only a scanned copy of the financial documentation as you’ll be required to present the originals at your appointment with the U.S. Consular Office in your country.

Step 6

Provide us with a copy of your passport. This can be scanned and emailed to us.

Step 7

Once we have received all documentation listed in the above steps, we will issue you an I-20 form, which shows that we have accepted you as a student here at COA and support your efforts to obtain an F-1 visa.  With the I-20 and originals of the documentation described above, you will be able to apply for the visa through the U.S. Consular Office in your country.  Once you are approved, you will be able to enter the United States 30 days prior to the beginning of classes for the next school term.

If you have additional questions, please call or email us.

Back to Top