Students >> Financial Aid Office >> Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program is one of the Federal financial aid programs in which College of The Albemarle participates. This program provides opportunities for eligible students to be placed in a part-time job that accommodates their academic schedule. FWS positions are available in numerous departments throughout the college. 

Authorizations will be written for available positions beginning in August. Authorizations introduce job applicants to supervisors and are an acknowledgement that the student is eligible to hold a Federal Work-Study position. 

Students who are eligible to hold Work-Study positions must meet the following criteria:

  • Have submitted their FAFSA and have their financial aid file completed
  • Meet the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Be eligible for Federal Financial Aid
  • Have a financial need remaining after the Federal Pell Grant has been awarded
  • Have registered for at least 6 required credits for the upcoming term
  • Complete a Department of Homeland Security Form I-9 (this form documents that you are eligible to work in the United States)
  • Complete IRS Form W-4 (this form determines how much federal income tax should be withheld from your pay, if any) and other forms, as applicable

The amount of financial assistance we offer you in the form of a Work-Study job reflects the maximum amount of money you will be eligible to earn under the Federal Work-Study program. This does not necessarily mean that you will actually earn the entire amount during the academic year. Your earnings are determined by the rate of pay associated with your job and the number of hours you work per week. Students employed under FWS are paid on a monthly basis.

Earning the FWS award is contingent upon working sufficient hours that do not conflict with your classes. Students may only work during scheduled school terms, not during holidays or during scheduled class time. Awards do not extend beyond the academic year, and you cannot be paid more work-study funds than you have been awarded by the College. You must keep track of your FWS earnings so that you do not exceed your award.

If you graduate in December or you will not be enrolled for at least six credit hours in the Spring term, you must stop working the last day of the Fall semester.

FWS earnings are considered taxable income and are treated just like any other employment when completing tax returns. However, work-study earnings are not considered as income for aid eligibility purposes when you reapply for financial aid next year.

If you have questions about the Federal Work-Study program, please call the Financial Aid Office at 252-335-0821 ext. 2355.

Back to Top