Your Free 2015-2016 Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be selected for review in a process called verification. If your FAFSA has been selected for verification, you may be asked to submit documentation to confirm your responses on your FAFSA. If you are selected for verification, aid cannot be awarded until verification has been completed.
2015-2016 Verification Information may include:
Number in Household: Complete the Independent Student Family Information worksheet. List the following in the household section of the worksheet:
- Yourself and
- Your spouse and
- Your children, even if they do not live with you, if you will provide more than half of their support from July 1, 2015, through June 30, 2015.
- Other people, if they now live with you, and you provide more than half of their support and you will continue to provide more than half of their support through June 30, 2016 (Do NOT include foster children).
Number in Household: Complete the Dependent Student Family Information worksheet.
- Yourself and your parent(s) (including a stepparent) even if you do not live with your parent(s).
- Your parent's other children if your parent(s) will provide more than half of their support from July 1, 2015, through June 20, 2016, or if the other children would be required to provide parental information if they were completing a FAFSA for 2015-2016. Include children who meet either of these standards, even if they do not live with your parent(s).
- Other people if they now live with your parent(s) and your parent(s) provide more than half of their support and will continue to provide more than half of their support through June 30, 2016.
Income Information: If you were selected for verification and you were eligible to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, tax return transcripts will NOT be accepted. At this time you must make a correction at www.fafsa.gov by selecting the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- To use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool go to www.FAFSA.gov, log in to your FAFSA record, select "Make FAFSA Corrections," and navigate to the Financial Information section of the form. It takes two to three weeks for IRS income information to be available on the IRS Data Retrieval Tool for electronic IRS tax return filers, and eight to 11 weeks for paper IRS tax return filers. If you need more information about whether, or how, to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool see your financial aid administrator.
- If you do not qualify to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (for reasons such as change in marital status for either you or your parent for the current year, you and your spouse filed separate tax returns, your parents if dependent filed separate tax returns, or you filed an amended tax return) you must provide an IRS Tax Return Transcript by accessing www.irs.gov and click on "Order a Tax Return Transcript" link or call 1-800-908-9946. Federal Tax Returns (such as IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ) will no longer be accepted.
- If a student did not file a 2014 tax return and was not required to file a 2014 tax return, submit the 2015-2016 Student/Spouse Income Information worksheet listing all sources of income for the 2014 tax year.
- If the student's parent(s) did not file a 2014 tax return and was not required to file a 2014 tax return, submit the 2015-2016 Parent Income Information worksheet for each parent listing all sources of income for the 2014 tax year.
Child Support Paid: If a student or parent paid child support during 2014 the 2015-2016 Child Support Paid worksheet will need to be submitted.
Food Stamp Benefits Received: If a student or parent received food stamps (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program SNAP) the 2015-2016 Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) worksheet will need to be submitted.
Identity Verification: You will need to visit the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid to present a valid government issued photo ID. Examples of valid identification include current driver’s license, non-driver’s license, military ID and passport.
Educational Purpose: You will need to visit the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid, present valid ID, and complete a form which indicates you will use your federal financial aid for educational purposes.
Untaxed Income: Complete the Untaxed Income form. Some students may be required to verify their untaxed income in order to fully understand the family's financial situation.
Transcripts: You may be required to submit your official high school/GED transcript that shows the date when the diploma was awarded. You may be required to submit official college transfer transcripts that show all periods of enrollment.
2014-15 Correcting your FAFSA to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Log in using your name, Social Security number and birthday
- Choose your 2015-2016 FAFSA. Directly below the Current Application Status, click Make FAFSA Corrections.
- Enter your PIN and password to view your 2015-2016 FAFSA.
- Using the navigation bar toward the top, choose Financial Information.
- If you indicated that you "Will File" your 2014 taxes, update your answer to reflect "Already Completed."
- If you indicated that you recently filed your taxes, check "None of the Above" and view the option to Link to IRS.
- If you already checked "None of the Above," then the option will be there already. Click the blue link Link to IRS.
- Click OK to leaving the FAFSA website. Click OK to enter the IRS website.
- On the IRS website, indicate under which filing status you filed your 2014 taxes and enter your address as it appears on your tax return.
- Click Submit and your tax information should populate.
- At the bottom of the page, check the box saying you would like to transfer your IRS data to the FAFSA then click Transfer Now.
- You will now be back on your 2015-2016 FAFSA. Do not change any of the information that was transferred from the IRS. Click through to get to the Sign & Submit page.
- Enter your PIN, agree to the terms and conditions and submit your FAFSA corrections.
If unable to utilize the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you can order a tax return transcript by:
- Accessing www.irs.gov and clicking "Get Transcript of your Tax Records" or
- Calling 1-800-908-9946 and selecting "Option 2" and entering "2014”
- Be sure to order a Tax RETURN Transcript.
Back to Top