Student Consumer Information
Untitled document

State Authorization
State Authorization is a legal issue dealing with a college's adherence to state requirements for colleges to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Compliance with individual state requirements is now part of the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008, Amended 2010.

HEOA 600.9 (c). If an institution is offering post-secondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering post-secondary distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary [of Education] the State's approval upon request. (Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1001 and 1002).

At this time College of The Albemarle is authorized to offer Distance Learning courses in the following states: Virginia, Ohio, and the District of Columbia.

Disclosure of Consumer Information - Your Right To Know
College of The Albemarle is committed to providing students, their families and the campus community full disclosure of all consumer information as required by state and federal laws and regulations. The laws are intended to satisfy students’ right to know, and afford the opportunity for students to make fully informed choices regarding the institution they elect to attend. Please take a moment to review the information below.

About College of The Albemarle
Consumer and disclosure information relating to current degrees and programs offered by the university, accreditation information, credit transfer policies, and lists of faculty and administrative personnel: General Catalog. Contact the Admissions Office at (252) 335-0821 x 2220.

COA Complaint Procedures
Students who have concerns can find the complaint process listed in the catalog under the Student Rights and Responsibilities section of the catalog. These informal and formal procedures can be found on pages 34 and 35 under the heading of Student Grievance Procedures for Non-Disciplinary Issues.

Unresolved Complaints
These instructions are specifically for submitting unresolved complaints to our regional accreditation agency, SACS. The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) expects individuals to attempt to resolve complaints against College of The Albemarle through all means available to the complainant, including following the college's own procedures, before submitting a complaint to the Commission. Therefore, the Commission’s usual practice is not to consider a complaint that is currently in administrative proceedings, including institutional proceedings, or in litigation. However, if there is substantial, credible evidence that indicates systemic problems with an accredited institution, the Commission may, at its discretion, choose to proceed with the review. In order to be considered, a formal complaint must be submitted in writing using the Commission’s “Complaint against Institutions: Information Sheet and Form,” signed, and two copies sent to: President, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia, 30033-4097. The Commission will neither entertain complaints that are not in writing or which are anonymous, nor will it consider complaints sent electronically or through facsimile transmission. In addition, the Commission will not act on complaints submitted on behalf of another individual or complaints forwarded to the Commission.

Student Body Diversity
Data on COA's student body

Safety on Campus - Your Right to Know
COA places the highest priority on your safety, and we rely on community members to share our commitment and actively participate in creating a safe and secure living, learning, and working environment. In compliance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (The Clery Act), COA’s Annual Crime Statistics includes data for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on or around the campus. View crime statistics and other campus safety information: Campus Safety and Security. To obtain other information or to speak with a security representative, please contact the Vice President of Business and Finance at (252) 335-0821 x 2211.

Drug Free Schools and Campuses Act of 1989
The Drug Free Schools and Campuses Act of 1989 requires that all students be notified annually of COA Alcohol and Controlled Substance Use Policy and Drug Free Workplace Policy. These policies and those regarding student conduct and sanction for violations can be found in the Student, Rights, Regulations, and Responsibilities section of the General Catalog. More information on local resources to assist you with the prevention of substance abuse: Office of Counseling and Career Development. Contact the Director of Counseling and Career Development at 252-335-0821 x 2243.

Privacy Rights of Students in Education Records
The federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), and regulations adopted subsequent to the Act, set out requirements designed to protect students' privacy in their records maintained by the college or university. The university has incorporated FERPA into our student records administration policies. The complete FERPA policy: Federal Department of Education. For more information, or to obtain a copy of the Student Records-Confidentiality & Release policy, please call the Registrar's Office (252) 335-0821 x 2252.

The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act
In compliance with the Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act (EADA), the COA Athletics Department reports required information to the Office of Postsecondary Education and directly to prospective students and parents. This information includes athletic graduation rates, the number of male and female athletes on campus, the expenses and athletic aid spent on each sport, recruiting expenses, annual revenue and salaries for all coaches. Data on athletic program participation rates and financial support are currently not available. More information: COA Athletics. Contact the  Athletics Department at (252) 335-0821 x 2260.

Completion of Degrees and Graduation Rate Information
Graduation rates for full-time, first-time undergraduates are available currently at the National Center for Educational Statistics College Navigator web site. Search for "College of The Albemarle." The information is also displayed by gender and by ethnicity. Degree completion and graduation rates can also be obtained by calling the Office of Institutional Effectiveness and Advancement at (252) 335-0821 x 2387.

Financial Aid Information
Consumer disclosure information relating to financial aid includes: cost of attendance, description of need and non-need aid types, application procedures and processes, student eligibility requirements, students rights and responsibilities, criteria for selection of recipients and awarding funds, disbursement information, refund and repayment policies, satisfactory academic progress policy for financial aid, appeal procedures, financial aid availability for students abroad, and VA/Military benefits. More information: Scholarship and Student Aid. Contact the Office of Scholarships and Student Aid at (252) 335-0821 x 2355.

Gainful Employment of Students in Selected Programs

Architectural Techonology

Basic Law Enforcement Training


Culinary Technology

Early Childgood Development

Electrical Systems Technology


Medical Assisting


Professional Arts - Jewelry

Practical Nursing

Surgical Technology

For regular admissions purposes, COA does not require immunization and medical records for domestic students; however, Health Science programs do require vaccinations and immunization records. For more information regarding vaccination and medical records policy for Health Science programs go to Programs of Study and click on the link to the specific program of study and then click on Handbook for the specific Health Science program. For more information on vaccination and medical records policy for Health Science programs please contact the Health Science Admissions and Retention Coordinator at (252) 335-0821 x 2304.

Information regarding textbooks (ISBN, price, etc.) for specific courses can be found by navigating to the www.albemarle.bkstr.com selecting Textbooks & Course Materials and filling in the appropriate information in the drop-down boxes. Contact the bookstore at (252) 335-0821 x 2377.

Tuition Calculator
Multi-year tuition calculator

Copyright Infringement and Peer To Peer File Sharing

Users of the COA network are prohibited from using Peer-To-Peer (P2P) programs. In addition, sharing of copyright material through this or any other technology is strictly prohibited, including network file sharing, web applications, or any other means. For information on Peer-To-Peer file sharing, please contact the MIS Office at (335) 335-0821 x 2301.

To obtain a printed copy of any of the information and policies listed on this page, or if you have further questions, please visit the Marketing and Communications office located in the A Building, Room 107, on the Elizabeth City Campus.

Back to Top