Skip to main content

F-1 Visas for Students Currently in the US

Thank you for your interest in College of The Albemarle (COA). We’re international student friendly and would be most happy to assist you in obtaining a student visa. If you’re currently in the U.S. on a valid visa (other than F-1), we can assist you in applying to change your current status to the status of F-1 student. It’s possible for you to obtain a student visa for three years to study at COA.

The cost for applying for a change in status is $290 (I-539 form) and an additional $200 (I-901 fee) for registering in Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS). Please review the F-1 Visa checklist for specifics about how this money should be paid. COA doesn’t charge any fees for assisting you with the change of status request.

If you’d like us to help you apply for the change of status so that you may attend COA, please follow the steps below.

How to Apply

Apply Online

If you experience login issues or need assistance with your College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) account, please call 866-866-2362.

If you haven’t attended COA for one year prior to the semester you plan to enroll, please re-apply for admission.

Receive assistance with your next enrollment step at a COA Connect session. Find out what we have to offer, create your COA login, prepare and sign up for placement testing, and confirm your information. After this session, you will be able to access your Gmail, WebAdvisor and myCourses (the college’s online education software).

Please complete the “Introduction to myCourses” in myCourses before registering for classes.

Reading/English and Math placement testing is required for all international students. You’ll need to attend a COA Connect session to sign up for a placement test. International students must score a 117 or higher on the NCDAP Test (placement into DRE 097) to be eligible to change their status to F-1 or receive an I-20. Students seeking an F-1 visa from their home country may take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
For change of status and/or F-1 visa information, please schedule an appointment with a DSO.

Upon completion of the placement test, international students should meet with a DSO to learn about what documents are necessary to complete a change of status or I-20 application. Students seeking an F-11 Visa from their home country should contact a DSO for an I-20 application.

In order to proceed with a change of status request or an I-20 application, you’ll need a number of required documents. The list of required documents will be reviewed during your meeting with a DSO.
Once you’ve gathered all the necessary documentation, please schedule a meeting with a DSO to complete a change of status application. Please bring your valid visa to finish the process.
Once you’ve taken the placement test (or had it waived), schedule an advising and registration appointment.

Please schedule an appointment at the campus you’ll be attending.

  • Elizabeth City Campus: 252-335-0821.
  • Dare County Campus: 252-473-2264.
  • Edenton-Chowan Campus: 252-482-7900.
  • Regional Aviation and Technical Training Center: 252-453-3035.

International students: Your F-1 status change must be approved by Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVIS) prior to enrolling in classes.

Email Addresses

We aren’t usually able to receive email from foreign servers, and strongly recommend that you establish a U.S. email account (Gmail, Yahoo, Earthlink, AOL, Hotmail) in order to communicate with us by email.


  • Boyce, Cherrie

  • Academic Advisor

  • Elizabeth City Campus: AE 133

  • 252-335-0821 ext. 2281