Skip to main content

Other ResourcesFinancial Aid

Get Help Paying for Classes

Alternative Options

Military service members and Veterans are invited to take advantage of the student services and educational programs offered by College of The Albemarle (COA). COA cooperates with the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA Regional Processing Office, Decatur, Georgia) and the North Carolina Department of Veterans Affairs in assisting Veterans and their dependents.

Veterans Benefits

There are a number of private lenders who offer alternative loans to cover educational expenses. These loans are available to students who don’t qualify for federal financial aid or have exhausted all potential federal grants, scholarships and work-study funds. Loan approval is generally based on creditworthiness and ability to repay. Eligibility is determined based on the school’s cost of attendance minus other financial aid or the annual loan maximum amount determined by the lender. Students are advised to borrow responsibly and to review all repayment options thoroughly.
WIOA can provide qualified individuals with funding for approved training programs that will lead to long-term employment. WIOA is a program, funded by the federal government, with the goal of assisting low- to no-income adults and dislocated workers who are enrolled or who wish to enroll in occupational training through COA. These funds may be used for registration fees, books, tools, required supplies, and supportive services such as transportation costs and childcare.

Eligibility Requirements

  • At least 18 years of age
  • U.S. citizen
  • No or low income


Men must be in compliance with Section 3 of the Military Selective Service Act regarding registration requirements.

Dislocated Workers

Dislocated workers are people who have been terminated or laid off, have received notice of termination or layoff, are self-employed but unemployed as a result of general economic conditions in the community or because of natural disaster, or are displaced homemakers.


In order to receive assistance with tuition, books and other registration fees, you must be fully enrolled in the WIOA program before the class start date. Depending on how quickly you provide the required documentation, the WIOA enrollment process can take up to 10 business days.


Please contact your local NC Works Career Center for information about approved education training programs.

Annette Barnes, Career Advisor
Camden, Currituck, Gates and Pasquotank Counties
Adult and Dislocated Workers
COA: 252-335-0821 ext. 2246 (Thursdays)

Rachel Clipston, Career Advisor
Currituck (Lower) and Dare Counties
Youth, Adult and Dislocated Workers

Keisha Kallicharan
Camden, Currituck, Gates and Pasquotank Counties
COA: 252-335-0821 ext. 2416 (Mondays and Thursdays)