Skip to main content

Student Complaints

Student Complaints

Please submit student complaints through COA’s complaint form.


Lynn Hurdle-Winslow
Vice President, Student Success and Enrollment Management
College of The Albemarle
1208 N. Road Street
Elizabeth City, NC 27909
Phone: 252-335-0821 ext. 2251
Fax: 252-335-2018

Unresolved Student Complaints

These instructions are specifically for submitting unresolved complaints to our regional accreditation agency.

North Carolina Secondary Education Complaint Process

To file a complaint concerning a postsecondary institution offering degree programs in North Carolina, read the complaint policy and print out and complete the Student Complaint Form (PDF) and submit the complaint to:

North Carolina Post-Secondary Education Complaints
c/o Student Complaints
University of North Carolina System Office
910 Raleigh Rd
Chapel Hill, NC 27515-2688

For more information, send an email to

SACSCOC Complaint Process

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) expects individuals to attempt to resolve complaints against COA through all means available to the complainant, including following the college’s own procedures, before submitting a complaint to the Commission. Therefore, the Commission’s usual practice is to not consider a complaint that is currently in administrative proceedings, institutional proceedings or litigation. However, if there’s substantial, credible evidence that indicates systemic problems with an accredited institution, the Commission may, at its discretion, choose to proceed with the review.

In order to be considered, a formal complaint must be submitted in writing using the Commission’s Complaint Policy and Form. Please mail two signed copies to:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Ln
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097

The Commission will not consider complaints that are:

  • Not in writing
  • Sent on behalf of another individual or forwarded to the Commission
  • Sent anonymously, electronically or through facsimile transmission

SARA-NC Complaint Process

Students may also file a complaint through SARA-NC. SARA-NC is the portal for North Carolina. Students should follow the SARA-NC Complaint Process and use the SARA-NC Complaint form (PDF).

SARA-NC Contact Information:

SARA North Carolina
North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority
P.O. Box 14103
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
T: 855 SARA-1-NC (727-2162)
T: 919 549-8614 ext. 4667