Skip to main content

Associate in Fine Arts – Visual Arts Pathway College Transfer

default header image

Associate in Fine Arts – Visual Arts (P1062C)

The Associate in Fine Arts — Visual Arts College Transfer Pathway is designed for high school juniors and seniors who wish to begin study toward the Associate in Fine Arts — Visual Arts degree and a baccalaureate degree in Fine Arts — Visual Arts.


To be eligible for enrollment in the College Transfer Pathway, a high school student must meet the following criteria:

  1. Be a high school junior or senior;
  2. Have an unweighted grade-point average (GPA) of 2.8 or higher on high school courses or demonstrate college readiness on an assessment or placement test in English, reading and mathematics for enrollment in a College Transfer Pathway; and
  3. Meet all course prerequisite requirements.

To maintain eligibility for continued enrollment, a student must:

  1. Continue to make progress toward high school graduation; and
  2. Maintain a 2.0 GPA in college coursework after completing two courses.

A 10 60 0 Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts

Concentration Overview

The Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts degree is designed to provide you with the basic courses required of freshman and sophomore art majors at senior institutions. This program of study will prepare you to continue your studies in the fine arts.

Upon completion of this concentration, graduates will be able to: transfer to baccalaureate granting institutions to pursue a program of study in art.

Partnership: College of The Albemarle (COA) has articulation agreements with certain universities for students transferring into specific programs of study. Students can complete the first two years of that specific baccalaureate degree at COA. Check with advisors for more information.
General Education (32-33 SHC)

The general education requirement includes study in courses selected from the Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) component of the CAA. (All Universal General Education Transfer Component courses in which the student earns a grade of “C” or better will transfer for equivalency credit up to the distribution limits detailed in the CAA.)

Course Course Title Semester Corequisites Prerequisites Credits
Study Success Total: 1
ACA 122 College Transfer Success n/a n/a n/a 1
Composition Total: 6
ENG 111 Writing and Inquiry n/a n/a DRE 098 3
ENG 112 Writing/Research in the Disciplines n/a n/a ENG 111 3
Communications Total: 3
COM 231 Public Speaking n/a n/a ENG 111 3
Humanities/Fine Arts Total: 3
Select one course from: ART 111 (none), ENG 231 (ENG 112), ENG 232 (ENG 112), ENG 241 (ENG 112), ENG 242 (ENG 112), MUS 110 (none), MUS 112 (none), PHI 215 (ENG 111) or PHI 240 (ENG 111) n/a n/a n/a varies 3
Social/Behavioral Sciences (at least two different disciplines must be represented) Total: 6
Select two courses from: ECO 251 (DRE 098 and DMA 010-050), ECO 252 (DRE 098 and DMA 010-050), HIS 111 (DRE 098), HIS 112 (DRE 098), HIS 131 (DRE 098), HIS 132 (DRE 098), POL 120 (DRE 098), PSY 150 (DRE 097) or SOC 210 (DRE 098) n/a n/a n/a varies 6
Mathematics Total: 3 – 4
Select one course from: MAT 143 (DMA 010-050), MAT 152 (DMA 010-050), MAT 171 (DMA 010-080), MAT 271 (MAT 172) or MAT 272 (MAT 271) n/a n/a n/a MAT 143: DMA 10-50
MAT 152: DMA 10-50
MAT 171: DMA 10-80
3 – 4
Natural Sciences Total: 4
Select one course from: AST 111 with AST 111A (DMA 010-050), BIO 111 (DRE 098 and DMA 010-050), CHM 151 (DMA 010-080, and CHM 090 or on unit of HS Chemistry), or PHY 110 with PHY 110A (DMA 010-050) n/a n/a n/a varies 4
Other Required Hours Total: 6
ART 121 Two-Dimensional Design n/a n/a none 3
ART 131 Drawing I n/a n/a none 3

*Optional General Education Hours (0-8 SHC) A student may take up to eight semester hours of credit (SHC) of foreign language courses and accompanying labs, in a single language, designated as General Education in the CAA as a part of this pathway. These courses are not a part of the UGETC. Students who complete these courses with a grade of “C” or better will receive transfer credit. The receiving university will determine whether the courses will count as general education, pre-major or elective credit.

Last updated: Feb. 25. 2019