The Emergency Medical Science curriculum provides you with the knowledge, skills and attributes to provide advanced emergency medical care as a paramedic for critical and emergent patients who access the emergency medical system and prepares graduates to enter the workforce.
You’ll gain complex knowledge, competency, and experience while employing evidence based practice under medical oversight, and serve as a link from the scene into the healthcare system.
Graduates of this program may be eligible to take state and/or national certification examinations.
Employment opportunities include providers of emergency medical services, fire departments, rescue agencies, hospital specialty areas, industry, educational and government agencies.
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, you’ll:
- Apply the basic concepts of pathophysiology, development, and pharmacology to the assessment and management of a wide variety of emergency patients
- Demonstrate proficiency in administration of medications and safely accessing venous circulation
- Establish and/or maintain a patent airway, oxygenate and ventilate any patient
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in all skills necessary to fulfill the role of entry-level paramedic in the state of North Carolina
- Demonstrate proficiency in the role of entry-level paramedic in the state of North Carolina