Watch Health and Fitness Science Program Overview (Mediasite video)
College of The Albemarle’s (COA) Health and Fitness Science program is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills necessary for employment in the fitness and exercise industry.
You’ll be trained in exercise science and be able to administer basic fitness tests and health risk appraisals, teach specific exercise and fitness classes, and provide instruction in the proper use of exercise equipment and facilities.
The program emphasizes experiential learning through a combination of classroom, online, laboratory and work-based training.
Degree and Certificate Options
- Health and Fitness Science — Associate in Applied Science
- Health and Fitness Science — Certificate
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this program, you’ll:
- Administer basic fitness tests and health risk assessments
- Design specific individual exercise programs, based on fitness tests and health risk assessment results
- Design and teach group exercise and fitness classes
- Provide instruction in proper exercise technique and appropriate use of exercise equipment and facilities
- Establish healthy nutritional plans
Employment opportunities include positions in:
- Commercial fitness clubs
- Wellness programs in business and industry
- Parks and recreation departments
- Organizations implementing exercise and fitness programs
You may also choose to continue your education through a variety of transfer programs at other colleges and universities.
Health & Fitness Science Handbook (PDF)
HSWP Admission Comparison Grid (PDF)
COA has an articulation agreement with Elizabeth City State University (ECSU). Graduates of the Associate in Applied Science degree in Health and Fitness Science may transfer into the B.S. Kinesiology — Concentration in Fitness and Wellness program at ECSU.
Associate in Applied Science in Health and Fitness Science Curriculum Guide (PDF)
Health and Fitness Science Certificate Curriculum Guide (PDF)