American Heart Association (AHA) Training Center
College of The Albemarle (COA) operates the only American Heart Association (AHA) Training Center in the area and offers a variety of classes for both the general public and medical professionals.
Course offerings range from basic CPR for the general public to advanced life support courses for local emergency medical services (EMS) providers, nurses, physicians and other allied health professionals.
Potential students, including those enrolled in any of the health sciences classes at COA, can find a class offering that will meet their requirements for enrollment.
AHA Online Course Offerings
AHA offers many of their classes online, available on their website at AHA eLearning. Following completion of an online class, you’ll need to demonstrate your hands-on skills while in the presence of a certified AHA instructor.
The AHA Training Center offers monthly Basic Life Support (BLS) skill review sessions proctored by certified instructors. Those choosing the online option will need to attend one of these sessions to officially complete the course.
The Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) classes are available online with the skills evaluation or in-person upon request.
Classes for the General Public
Classes for Medical Professionals and Students in Medical Fields
Instructions for Registering for COA Sponsored Classes
There are three easy steps to get through the registration process. Follow all steps for online classes. For in-person classes, follow step 2.
- Go to eLearning.org, purchase and complete the desired class. Bring the Course Completion Certificate with you when you come for the skills evaluation class.
- Visit WebAdvisor to register and pay for classes online:
- Select “Register and Pay for Continuing Education Classes.”
- On the search page, simply click “Submit” without entering any information.
- Place a check mark in the box next to the BLS skills class you want then click “Submit.”
- Complete all the demographic information and pay for your class.
- Once the registration is complete, attend the class selected. Classes are held in COA – Elizabeth City, C building room 110. We start at 1 p.m. and try to arrange appointments to reduce wait time.
|Sep. 20||COA – Dare||HS CPR/AED||9 a.m. to noon|
|Sep. 24||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS||9 a.m. to noon|
|Sep. 28||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS||5 to 8 p.m.|
|Sep. 29||COA – Elizabeth City||Skills||1 to 4 p.m.|
|Oct. 5||COA – Edenton-Chowan||HS CPR/AED||5 to 8 p.m.|
|Oct. 22||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS||9 a.m. to noon|
|Oct. 26||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS||5 to 8 p.m.|
|Oct. 26||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS Instructor||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
|Oct. 27||COA – Elizabeth City||Skills||1 to 4 p.m.|
|Nov. 18||COA – Currituck||HS CPR/AED||1 to 4 p.m.|
|Nov. 19||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS||9 a.m. to noon|
|Nov. 30||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS||5 to 8 p.m.|
|Nov. 17||COA – Elizabeth City||Skills||1 to 4 p.m.|
|Dec. 16||COA – Dare||HS CPR/AED||1 to 4 p.m.|
|Dec. 17||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS||9 a.m. to noon|
|Dec. 14||COA – Elizabeth City||BLS||5 to 8 p.m.|
|Dec. 15||COA – Elizabeth City||Skills||1 to 4 p.m.|