Pharmacy Technician Program Overview
College of The Albemarle’s (COA) Pharmacy Technician course is designed to provide instruction in the technical procedures for preparing and dispensing drugs in the hospital and retail settings under supervision of a registered pharmacist.
- Drug packaging and labeling
- Out-patient dispensing
- Hospital dispensing procedures
- Controlled substance procedures
- Inventory control
- Non-sterile compounding
Manuals can be purchased at the Follett Bookstore at COA – Elizabeth City.
Upon completion, you should be able to perform basic supervised dispensing techniques in a variety of pharmacy settings.
Placement Testing and Prerequisites
Math Placement Scores
You must meet one of the following requirements:
- NCDAP: a score of “7” or higher in all sections of DMA 010, DMA 020 and DMA 030
- Passing grade in the courses DMA 010, 020 and 030
- Passing grade in college-level math class
- CRC: a score of “4” on the applied math section