Skip to main content

Financial ResourcesMilitary & Veterans

Financial Aid Options

Federal Work-Study

There are several resources available for Veterans needing additional financial aid, including Federal Work-Study positions.

North Carolina Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (VA)

Email the North Carolina VA office in Elizabeth City at [email protected].

North Carolina Employment Security Commission

North Carolina Employment Security Commission

Veterans Readjustment Counseling Service

Contact the Veterans Readjustment Counseling Service at 919-856-4616.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship

Under this scholarship, a Pell-eligible student whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer is eligible to receive a maximum Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.

To qualify for this scholarship, a student must be Pell-eligible and have a Pell-eligible Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and be less than 24 years of age or enrolled at an institution of higher education at the time of his or her parent’s or guardian’s death. In subsequent award years, the student continues to be eligible for the scholarship, as long as the student has a Pell-eligible EFC and continues to be an eligible student.

For purposes of the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship, a public safety officer is:

  • As defined in section 1204 of title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C 3796b); or
  • A fire police officer, defined as an individual who is serving in accordance with State or local law as an officially recognized or designated member of a legally organized public safety agency and provides scene security or directs traffic in response to any fire drill, fire call, or other fire, rescue, or police emergency, or at a planned special event.

To apply, complete and return the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship form (PDF).

U.S. Department of VA

Read about on-the-job training, apprenticeships and more at the U.S. Department of VA.

Department Chapters Contact
VA Regional Office 30, 32, 33, 35, 1606 and 1607 252-331-4741
Vocational Rehabilitation 31 800-827-1000
Monthly Certification 877-823-2378
Direct Deposit Center for Education 877-838-2778