Skip to main content

Program of Study & Changing MajorsMilitary & Veterans

Your first step at College of The Albemarle (COA) is to select the program of study that you plan to follow until graduation. Any change of program is a change of educational, professional or vocational objective requiring a change in the classes you’ll need to take. The law permits changes of program if your attendance, conduct and progress in the last program were satisfactory. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) may approve additional changes if the proposed program is suitable to your abilities, aptitudes and interests. You’ll need to notify the Office of the Registrar if you intend to change your major.

Class Substitutions

Substituting one class for another requires approval from the division chair, and VA approval is required prior to being paid for more than two substitutions in your curriculum. It’s your responsibility to notify the Office of the Registrar of all class substitutions.

Nontraditional Class Enrollment

The VA defines nontraditional classes as telecourses, internet delivered, audio/video cassette and independent study. In order to maintain a high quality of educational and academic excellence, all students receiving educational benefits from the VA must meet the following criteria before enrolling in nontraditional classes:

  • Review the student orientation to Moodle and online services class to determine if you’re suited to this style of learning
  • The class must be required in your current program of study
  • You’ll need to pass each nontraditional class attempted in order to enroll in a subsequent class

If you have questions about classes required for your program of study, please contact your advisor.


  • Dance, Andrea

  • Director, Registration and Records/Registrar

  • COA – Elizabeth City: AE 119

  • 252-335-0821 ext. 2252