College of The Albemarle’s (COA) Welding Technology program will give you a sound understanding of the science, technology and applications essential for successful employment in the welding and metal industries. The Welding program is offered at COA – Elizabeth City and COA – Dare.
Welding Technology Program and Dual Enrollment (YouTube video)
Classroom training and practical application course work include:
- Consumable and non-consumable electrode welding and cutting processes
- Blueprint reading
- Welding inspection
- Destructive testing
Equipment needed for the Welding Technology program includes:
- Welding helmet (auto darkening is a plus)
- Burning goggles (shade 5)
- Tip cleaners
- MIG Pliers
- 10-inch adjustable wrench
- Welding jacket with leather sleeves
- Steel toe leather boots (with high sides)
- Welding gloves
- Safety glasses
- Ear plugs
Welding kits are available for purchase from a variety of vendors, including the COA bookstore. If you have specific supply questions, please contact any welding instructor.
- Welding Technology — Diploma
- Welding Technology Basic Certificate
- Welding Technology Advanced Certificate
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program, you’ll:
- Weld industrial alloys related to industry standards
- Research, interpret and apply codes and welding procedure specifications
- Generate sketches and interpret conventional and CAD-generated prints
- Demonstrate knowledge of welding inspection methods and testing of weldments with destructive methods
- Demonstrate the ability to set up, program, operate and troubleshoot automated equipment related to the welding industry
Employment opportunities include entry-level technician, sales and quality control positions in metalworking, construction, manufacturing and fabrication.
Visit the occupational outlook handbook for welders, cutters, solderers and brazers on the Bureau of Labor Statistics website.
Welding Technology Diploma Curriculum Guide (PDF)
Welding Technology Basic and Advanced Certificate Curriculum Guides (PDF)