To be eligible for classification as a North Carolina resident, you’ll need to establish that the state has been your legitimate domicile for the previous 12 months.
The following documentation may be provided to prove residency. It’s to your advantage to have as much documentation as possible.
- North Carolina driver’s license and North Carolina vehicle registration card.
- Voter registration card.
- North Carolina automobile insurance card.
- Proof of jury duty invitation.
- Rental agreement for property used as principal residence.
- Proof of purchased property used as principal residence.
- North Carolina income tax return.
Residency regulations for tuition purposes are detailed in the North Carolina State Residence Classification Manual, available at the Office of the Registrar.
If you’re classified as an out-of-state student, you may appeal this decision by completing the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS) Application. This application must be completed within 10 business days of the semester.
Administrative Assistant/Registrar Technician
Elizabeth City Campus: AE 127
252-335-0821 ext. 2218