Skip to main content

Students Currently Overseas Seeking F-1 VisaProspective International Students

Due to Covid-19, in-person information sessions are not currently being held. Students should contact an Admissions DSO at [email protected] for more information.

Students Currently Overseas Seeking an F-1 Visa

How to Apply

The faculty and staff at College of The Albemarle (COA) welcomes international students. International Student Support Services is happy to help you obtain an F-1 student visa while you’re in your home country. A student visa allows you to study at our college for up to three years. Students are required to pay for the cost for an F-1 visa application (varies by country), the I-901 fee ($350) and the COA application processing fee ($50). You’ll need to pay the I-901 fee before your consular appointment. To pay the I-901 fee online, visit FMJFEE.

Review Process for Being an International Student at COA

Students seeking to attend COA should review the following information about the process and complete the required survey. Please email an Admissions Designated School Official (DSO) with any questions you may have at [email protected].

International Students must pay a $50 application processing fee. The fee can be paid in person (cash, check or credit card), over the phone (credit card) or via mail (money order or check). This fee is due prior to the submission of I-20 documentation. Students currently overseas should pay via the mail and should send a money order for $50 made out to the “College of The Albemarle.”

Apply Online

If you experience login issues or need assistance with your College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) account, please call 866-866-2362.

Tips for Paying the Application Processing Fee

Students should first download our Application Processing Form (PDF) and complete the form. Next, students should determine how they wish to pay the fee.

Paying in Person

Students who wish to pay in person can do so at COA – Elizabeth City or COA – Dare. Students should bring their completed form and their method of payment with them to their campus of choice. Students will go to the Business Office at their respective campus to complete payment. Students should ask for a receipt for their records. Please check the hours of operation to determine when COA – Elizabeth City and COA – Dare are open.

Paying Over the Phone

Students wishing to pay over the phone should:

  1. Complete the form and return it via email to the DSO assisting you
  2. Your DSO will email this to an available Business Office representative
  3. The DSO will notify the student who to call and will provide you with a phone number; Students should call the number provided and have your payment method (credit or debt) available
  4. The Business office will process the student’s payment and will email the student a receipt upon payment. Please allow 1 business day for a receipt to be emailed
  5. The student will submit a copy of the receipt with their I-20 application and documentation

Paying by Mail

Students wishing to mail in their payment may do so. Students should send a money order to the address on the Application Processing Fee Form. Upon its arrival, a DSO will notify you that payment has been received.

Students with questions about the Application Process Fee should contact an Admissions DSO.

Before we can issue the appropriate documentation to present at the U.S. Consular Office in your country, we’ll need to determine that you meet our minimum requirements in reading, writing and math. International students who are overseas will need to take either the TOEFL exam or the ILETS academic exam in order to verify that they have the necessary skills in English and reading to succeed in academic courses.

The minimum TOEFL scores are: Internet Based 40, Paper Based 425 and Computer Based 120.

The minimum ILETS academic score is a “5” or higher. For students interested in taking the ILETS should be sure to take the ILETS academic test.

International students who take a TOEFL or ILETS test overseas will need to take the college placement tests once they enter the U.S.

The form I-20 is required for your F-1 student application. Please gather the necessary documents listed in the application. Download our I-20 application form (PDF) or contact one of our DSO. Documentation needed for the I-20 includes:

  • A copy of your passport
  • Copies of your official high school and university transcripts (in both your native language and official English translations)
  • A letter from a sponsor indicating their willingness to help you financially while you study at COA. You’re not permitted to work as an F-1 student, so the purpose of the sponsor letter is to show that you’ll have financial support. You may have one or more sponsors, but all should be private individuals. We discourage using U.S. businesses as sponsors, as this gives the appearance that you may be employed by your sponsor. You may use non-U.S. sponsors or self-sponsor if you have the financial resources. If self-sponsoring, you’ll need to provide a letter stating such. If you’re sponsored by someone in your home country, the sponsor letter must be written in English (or officially translated to English). COA needs a copy of this letter as you’ll be required to present the originals at your appointment with the U.S. Consular Office in your country.
  • Financial documentation (original bank statements) from the last three consecutive months proving that you or your sponsor has a balance of at least $23,000 (for each month) in the equivalent of U.S. dollars. If you have more than one sponsor, we’ll need three bank statements from each person. If your sponsor is providing bank documentation from another country, please provide bank statements from the last three consecutive months, along with a letter showing a three-month accounting of your sponsor’s balances. The statements and letter will need to be officially translated into English and the financial information will need to be converted to U.S. dollars. COA needs only a scanned copy of the financial documentation, as you’ll be required to present the originals at your appointment with the U.S. Consular Office in your country.
  • Proof of your TOEFL or IELTS score. If you’ve taken the NCDAP placement test showing placement into Developmental Reading/English (DRE) 097, you can provide that documentation instead.

Your DSO will then create and mail your I-20 within two weeks of receipt. The I-20 acknowledges that COA has accepted you as a student and supports your efforts to obtain an F-1 visa. With the I-20 and the originals of the documentation described above, you’ll be able to apply for an F-1 visa through the U.S. Consular Office in your country. Please note that we mail via First Class postage and are unable to verify how long it will take your I-20 to arrive to your home country. Once approved, please contact the DSO that created your I-20 to begin the class registration process. Please note that you won’t be able to enter the U.S. until 30 days prior to the beginning of registered classes.

Submit your information and documentation to an Admissions DSO at [email protected].

Upon receipt of your F1 visa, please contact the DSO you have been working with and you will be assigned an international student advisor to assist you with course registration.

New international students will have to take the RISE English and math placement test prior to enrolling in classes. Please contact the DSO you’ve previously worked with to schedule the placement test. The placement test will be taken upon your arrival in the U.S. so please make your travel plans accordingly. You may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the start date listed on your I-20.

Once you have completed the placement test a DSO will assign you in registering for classes.


Email: [email protected]
Phone: 252-335-0821 ext. 2217