College of The Albemarle (COA) requires that every student complete the myCourses student orientation class (COA_100_01) with a score of 90 percent or higher before becoming eligible to register for online classes.
Before enrolling in an online class, please assess your readiness for the online learning environment. Your answers to the following questions will help you determine what to focus on in order to succeed at online learning.
Answer each question below with a “yes” or “no.”
- I am comfortable with computers, email and internet technology.
- I understand that online learning is different from traditional classroom learning and will require an equal or greater amount of work.
- I enjoy corresponding with people online and am comfortable expressing my thoughts in writing.
- I am a self-directed and self-motivated person capable of working independently.
- I can manage my study time efficiently to complete assignments on time.
- I enjoy learning new computer skills and programs.
- Typing is easy for me.
- I learn best when I figure things out for myself.
- I have reliable access to a computer with a high-speed internet connection.
- I can download software to my computer.
- I have a reasonable tolerance for frustration when faced with computer related problems.
- I can create, rename and delete folders.
- I have access to and am familiar with Microsoft Word, including tasks like composing essays, copying and pasting text, printing, setting margins, adding page numbers, changing fonts and other basic types of formatting.
- I know how to use a web browser.
- I can use search engines to locate and access information.
- I can create, send, forward, reply to, save and delete email messages.
- I can send, open and save email attachments.
- I can send group emails.
- I can post messages to discussion lists.
- I can use talk and chat features for real-time communication.
Tally the number of “yes” answers.
Evaluate your readiness for online learning using the following guide:
- 18 to 20 “yes” answers: You’re a very good candidate for online learning.
- 16 or 17 “yes” answers: You’re a good candidate for online learning, but you may need some preparation before undertaking online learning.
- 15 or fewer “yes” answers: You may be a candidate for online learning, but you’ll need important preparatory work before undertaking online learning.
Peck, Dr. Susan
Coordinator, Distance Education Programs
Elizabeth City Campus: A 137
252-335-0821 ext. 2219