Skip to main content

Transfer from COA

Transfer from COA to a Four-Year University

College of The Albemarle’s (COA) college transfer program is designed to meet the two-year general education requirements of four-year colleges and universities. The curriculum is broad-based, allowing students to transfer with junior-level status after two years of study in almost any academic or pre-professional field. Statewide agreements govern the transfer of credits between NC community colleges and NC public universities.

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) enables COA to offer two college transfer programs, Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS), which are guaranteed to transfer to any University of North Carolina (UNC) system university. Similarly, the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (ICAA) allows transfer to most private colleges in North Carolina. Completion of these two-year degrees does not guarantee admission to specific universities, however.

In addition, COA offers several other degrees which transfer to those four-year, public universities which offer the programs: Associate in Early Childhood, Associate in Engineering, Associate in Fine Arts in Theatre, and Associate in Fine Arts in Visual Arts. These programs are governed by Uniform Articulation Agreements: the Early Childhood Education Articulation Agreement, Engineering Articulation Agreement, Fine Arts in Theatre Articulation Agreement, and Fine Arts in Visual Arts Articulation Agreement.

Courses for these degrees are articulated through the CAA, which identifies courses that are appropriate for transfer as the general education core and pre-major elective courses required to complete a four-year degree. In order for courses to transfer under these agreements, students must earn a “C” or higher. The specific courses that transfer to the UNC system and other colleges are listed on the CAA course list, which includes Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC), general education (Gen Ed) and pre-major elective courses.

UGETC courses are those that students would complete in the first year and are guaranteed to transfer without completing the full two-year degree. Gen Ed courses can be either UGETC courses or those that meet the general education requirements for a four-year degree. Pre-major elective courses are any courses other than UGETC or Gen Ed that will apply to a student’s major at a UNC system university or four-year college. It’s important to meet with your transfer advisor before beginning the second year in order to develop an academic course plan that matches the transfer admissions and major course requirements at your chosen four-year college.

Several Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree programs have been developed with Elizabeth City State University, East Carolina University and other UNC system universities.

Steps to Transferring to a Four-Year College

Most colleges and universities have prerequisites and requirements (based on major) that should be completed during your first two years at COA, so it’s important to choose your major as soon as possible. If you’re still undecided about your major, please contact Career Services.
Explore the links below for transfer information, tour the colleges and universities that interest you, and speak with admissions counselors about program requirements (especially if you have transfer credits from other academic institutions, and CLEP or AP credit).
The transfer admissions deadlines for most colleges are March 1 for fall and Sep. 1 for spring. Some colleges including UNC Chapel Hill and NC State have earlier deadlines. UNC Chapel Hill (all majors) and North Carolina State Engineering only accept transfer students for the fall semester. You’ll need to meet all admissions requirements at the time of application.

Transfer Admissions

The transfer admission requirements of four-year colleges vary, but most require a minimum number of transferable credits, a minimum grade-point average (GPA), and specific course work in general education areas such as English and college-level math.

East Carolina University (ECU) Pirate Promise

Prepare for your future: join the Pirate Nation with Pirate Promise. ECU extends an invitation to participate from your community college before you graduate and transfer. Pirate Promise is the starting point for full-time community college students to attend special events, get advising and have support as you transfer to ECU

ECU Transfer Degree Plans

UNC Transfer Admissions

Transfer students who haven’t completed the UNC minimum course requirements (MCR) in high school may qualify for admission to UNC system universities in one of the following ways:

  • Complete an AA or AS degree from a North Carolina community college
  • Complete six transferable credit hours in each of the following areas: English, mathematics, science, social science and foreign language

By meeting the UNC MCR in high school, you can transfer at any time but may have to compete for admission as a first-year student if you have fewer than 30 transferable credit hours.

Visit the following transfer admission web pages to learn more about four-year colleges and universities that endorse the North Carolina CAA, as well as each college’s specific transfer admission policies, transfer course equivalencies, and program or major requirements. Most of these colleges also allow you to apply online.

Each UNC system university offers transfer pathways to assist you with choosing your classes at COA. For college-specific scholarship information, refer to each college’s web page. For other scholarships, visit our college transfer scholarships web page.

North Carolina Wesleyan College (NCWC) Partnership

Complete your four-year degree in business at the Dare County Campus through NCWC. To learn more, contact the NCWC Office of Adult Studies.

Matthew Hasket
252-473-2264 ext. 224

Virginia Wesleyan University (VWU) Partnership

Visit VWU

Complete your four-year degree through VWU upon successful completion of an associate degree. Admission to VWU will be guaranteed for individuals who earn an associate degree from COA with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher based on all college-level work attempted.

Eushekia Hewitt
252-335-0821 ext. 2256

Out-of-state and North Carolina colleges that have not signed on to the CAA will still transfer credits from COA in accordance with our regional accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). Some of these colleges have selective admissions and may require essays, letters of recommendation, and SAT and ACT scores. All of these colleges will transfer completed COA courses on a course-by-course basis. Please check with each college’s transfer admissions advisor regarding transfer course equivalencies.

Transfer Rate and Success at the UNC System Universities

COA students have successfully transferred to four-year colleges since the first graduating class of 1962. According to the UNC Transfer Student Performance Report (which reflects the number and quality of COA students transferring to the UNC System), in 2011, 73 COA students transferred to a UNC system university and earned an average GPA of 2.94 after attending for one year.

UNC Transfer Student Performance Reports

Please contact an advisor for more information and assistance with transferring.

RaiseMe™: Scholarships Made Simple

Get ahead of the transfer process by earning scholarships directly form four-year colleges and universities while you complete your associate degree. Connect with colleges and track your progress toward successful transfer during community college.


Frequently Asked Questions

Earn Scholarships from Four-Year Colleges

RaiseMe makes it easy to earn transfer scholarships throughout community college.

Step One

Create an account by visiting RaiseMe, click on the “I’m a Community College Student” and follow the instructions.

Step Two

Search for the colleges that you’re interested in and “follow” them.

Step Three

Add your achievements from community college to your portfolio as you work toward completing your associate degree.

Step Four

See how much you’ve earned in micro-scholarships for every achievement you add. Watch your earnings pile up before the submission deadline for your intended transfer date.

Step Five

Apply to colleges. If and when you’re accepted to a college partner, you’ll see your submitted earnings amount (at minimum) in your award letter.

Micro-Scholarships for Community College Students

On RaiseMe, you can connect and engage with four-year colleges from the start of your journey, earn performance-based scholarships from four-year colleges for individual achievements in community college, and see what steps to take in order to efficiently and successfully transfer to your college of choice while staying on track to complete your associate degree.

Discover Universities

Discover and “follow” colleges on RaiseMe that are the best fit and match for transfer based on cost, location, major and more.

Earn Micro-Scholarships for Achievements

Add achievements, such as getting an “A” or “B” in a core course or working a part-time job, into your RaiseMe portfolio as you progress through community college. For each achievement, you’ll earn a micro-scholarship from the colleges you’re following.

Track Your Progress and Maximize Your Earnings

Track your progress toward transfer eligibility as you earn new micro-scholarships from four-year colleges with each new achievement during community college.

Redeem Micro-Scholarships When You Transfer

The total amount of micro-scholarships you earn from the university you apply and are accepted to represents the minimum amount of financial aid you’ll receive when you transfer.

RaiseMe for Transfers is a college discovery and engagement platform that is transforming when and how you embark on your journey to transfer to a four-year college. On RaiseMe, you can connect directly with four-year colleges while enrolled in community college to see what academic achievements will help you stay on track to complete your associate degree and efficiently and successfully transfer to complete your bachelor’s degree. As you progress through community college course work, you receive incremental “micro-scholarships” from college for those achievements. The micro-scholarship dollars translate into merit-based financial aid awarded directly to you by an institution once you apply and are accepted.

RaiseMe is free to community college students — get started.

When you’re on RaiseMe, you can earn scholarships incrementally for your academic and extracurricular progress during your time at two-year community college institutions.

RaiseMe College Exploration Tips and Classroom Activity