Frequently Asked Questions
If you don’t have access to a computer, you’re welcome to use the computer labs located on both COA – Elizabeth City and COA – Edenton-Chowan, as well as the computers available at COA – Elizabeth City and COA – Dare libraries.
- Motivated and disciplined to work independently
- Able to set goals and work steadily to meet them
- Able to manage their time effectively
- Responsible self-starters
- Willing to direct their own efforts
- Proficient at reading for comprehension
Online courses also require a certain amount of computer expertise, including the ability to:
- Navigate the internet
- Check and send email
- Send emails with attachments
- Compose and edit documents using word processing software
- Become familiar with MyCourses
Visit our Online Learning Readiness Quiz to assess your current aptitude for taking an online course.
- Internet (online): Courses in which 100 percent of instruction is delivered online with you, your classmates and your instructor interacting online from separate locations and times
- Hybrid: Courses in which greater than 50 percent but less than 100 percent of instruction is delivered online using a combination of both online and face-to-face settings
- Blended: Courses in which less than or equal to 50 percent of instruction is delivered online using a combination of both online and face-to-face settings
- Web Conferencing: Courses taught live at a scheduled time using an online web conferencing platform such as Zoom™ or Collaborate™
- Face-to-Face: Courses in which 100 percent of instruction is delivered in the classroom and may use the LMS to post supplementary instructional materials
*New students will have access to MyCourses one week before the start of their class.
The technology section offers tutorials for basic computing and various operating systems. The Microsoft Office section has tutorials for Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher (Office XP, 2000, 2003, 2007, 2010 and 2013). The mobile applications section offers applications to help you learn through your smartphone.
If you’re still having issues, please contact the Pearson help desk (MyLabsPlus is supported through Pearson) at 888-883-1299 or 800-677-6337, available 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Director, Distance Education
COA – Elizabeth City: B 217
252-335-0821 ext. 2380