Skip to main content

Academic Advising FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

The following are answers to common questions about reaching your educational goals at College of The Albemarle (COA). If you need further assistance, please contact your advisor.


Your assigned advisor’s name and email address are listed in your MyService profile. You can find your advisor’s office location and phone extension on the advisors web page.
Yes, only students with more than 24 credit hours can self-register. Your advisor is there to help you understand COA’s policy and direct you to the resources that may help you.
You can double-check with your advisor, print out a curriculum guide on the program of study web page or go to MyService and click student planning to view your academic progress. It’s important to use your catalog of record (the official catalog you began with for your current program of study) to evaluate your progress toward completing your degree. For example, if you started in fall 2011, you would use the 2011 to 2013 catalog as your catalog of record.
The Associate in Arts and the Associate in Science degree programs are articulated curriculum through the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement CAA (PDF) with the University of North Carolina and certain private North Carolina colleges. The classes required for those degree programs are transferable and are listed on the CAA course list, available in our Academic Catalog.

See your advisor first and then submit a Student Information Change form (PDF), available online or at any campus Student Success Office. When changing your major, you’ll be subject to the requirements listed in the college catalog or the catalog of record at the time of the change. To discuss the effects of changing your major, please contact your advisor and a financial aid counselor.

Student Information Change Form (PDF)

Approval is required to double major at COA. Please contact your advisor for more information.
Yes, you’ll be reassigned to an advisor who teaches or advises students in your new program of study.
You should first ask your instructor to help you identify challenges and provide suggestions for improving your performance. Tutoring is available at the Academic Support Center. If you still need to speak with someone else about any problems you’re having, please contact your advisor.

This depends on when you stop attending. You may use MyService to drop a class before the semester starts. If you withdraw after the first day but before the 10 percent completion point of the class (generally the first eight days of a 16-week semester), you’ll need to submit a registration change form to the Office of the Registrar or Student Success Office. The 10 percent completion point is different depending on whether you’re in an eight-, 12- or 16-week semester course. If you withdraw or drop within the 10 percent completion point, the class won’t appear on your transcript and you may be eligible for a 75 percent tuition refund.

If you stop attending after the ten percent completion point and before the withdrawal deadline (the last day to withdraw and receive a W), you’ll need to submit a class withdrawal form and a W will appear on your transcript.

Your instructor may award a grade of F after the withdrawal deadline.

Don’t assume COA will withdraw you automatically if you stop attending class. If the class withdrawal form is not submitted by the published deadline, you’ll need to see the class instructor, and a grade will be assigned by that instructor.

The registration change and class withdrawal forms are available from your advisor, instructor, and online at the academic advising forms and resources web page.

If you need to withdraw totally from COA for medical or other reasons, please contact your advisor and the Financial Aid Office.

You’ll need to have an official transcript sent from your previous institution directly to COA’s Office of the Registrar, or deliver the transcript yourself in a sealed envelope. Your course work will be evaluated based on your major at COA, and you’ll be awarded transfer credit for courses applicable to that major. For a course to be transferable, you’ll need to have earned a C or better from an accredited college or university, and the course will need to be equivalent in content to a COA course. You may transfer in a maximum of 75 percent of credits toward an associate degree program at COA.
COA allows you to repeat a class more than once for any reason. All attempts and grades will show on your transcript, but only the highest grade will be used in calculating your cumulative grade-point average (GPA).
If you’re a former COA student who’s experienced a lapse of enrollment for a period of two consecutive academic years, you may petition the vice president of Learning (only once) to have all course work not related to a new program of study, or any below-average grades (D or F), disregarded when calculating your GPA. Upon re-enrolling following the lapse, you’ll first need to complete 12 semester hours of non-developmental course work with a minimum 2.0 GPA before requesting grade forgiveness. If the request is approved, the record of the affected earlier course work will remain on your transcript but won’t be calculated in the cumulative GPA or apply toward graduation. Honors, if applicable, will be awarded based upon the new GPA. Eligibility for financial aid is not subject to fresh start calculations.
View our Academic Catalog to review COA’s academic and other policies relative to your program of study.

The ultimate decision about the direction to take with your education and career is up to you, but a number of career resources are available to help you understand your options. Visit the career tracks web page for specific, up-to-date career information including employment outlook, salaries, ability requirements, descriptions of responsibilities and salary predictions. Counselors and advisors are available to help you use these resources to clarify your goals, areas of interest and abilities.

Career Services