Due to COVID-19, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before coming to campus to take a placement test.
College of The Albemarle (COA) offers the Reinforced Instruction for Student Excellence (RISE) assessment for placement testing, measuring your skills in reading, writing and math. All full- and part-time students entering COA will need to take a placement test or qualify to have it waived. Depending on your placement test scores, you may need to complete developmental classes in English and reading and math.
Students who place out of all DMA courses can self-elect to take additional placement tests to place out of MAT 171 Precalculus Algebra and/or MAT 172 Precalculus Trigonometry.
The placement test can be scheduled during convenient hours at each of our campuses. Please attend an online COA Connect session to learn about placement testing. A photo identification is required.
If you have questions about placement testing, contact us at email@example.com or 252-335-0821 ext. 2253.
Scantron Internet-Based Certification Testing
In addition to placement testing, we also proctor:
- Career Readiness Certification (CRC) exams
- High School Equivalency readiness
- Pearson VUE testing
- DMA testing
- Distance Education midterms and finals
- Non-COA student testing
- Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) testing
- Computer-Assisted Testing Service (CATS) testing
High School Students
If you need to take the placement test, contact the campus nearest you:
- COA – Elizabeth City: 252-335-0821 ext. 2290
- COA – Edenton-Chowan: 252-482-7900 ext. 6011
- COA – Dare: 252-473-2264 ext. 7010
Do you need to take the placement test but plan to attend another college? You can request a proctor exam by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
Special Arrangements for Students with Disabilities
If you have a learning or physical disability that would prevent you from taking the test under standard conditions, separate testing and other special accommodations are available. For details, please contact the Special Population Coordinator at 252-335-0821 ext. 2277.
Placement Test Waiver Policy
The placement test may be waived using test exemptions or the placement test waiver policy. Test results are used in conjunction with other information to place you in the appropriate classes for your program of study at COA.
Associate in Engineering and Associate in Science students place directly into MAT 271 Calculus I if you’ve met at least one of the following criteria within the past five years:
- A score of “2” or higher on the AP Calculus AB ExamA grade of “C” or higher in an AP Calculus course and an unweighted high school grade-point average of 3.0 or higher
- A score of “580” or higher on the old (prior to March 2016) SAT Math and a grade of “C” or higher in the North Carolina Standard Course of Study Precalculus course or an equivalent course from another state
- A score of “600” or higher on the new (March 2016 and beyond) SAT Math and a grade of “C” or higher in the North Carolina Standard Course of Study Precalculus course or an equivalent course from another state
- A score of “27” or higher on the ACT Math and a grade of “C” or higher in the North Carolina Standard Course of Study Precalculus course or an equivalent course from another state
- A score of “560” or higher on the SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 2
Retest Policy and Fee
You may retest only once within a ten-year period for the RISE assessment. There is no fee to retest. You may not retest once enrolled in that subject’s developmental class. Basic Law Enforcement Training and continuing education students should contact the BLET administrator or continuing education personnel concerning retests.
Placement Testing Help
For upper-level math, Precalculus Trigonometry, Brief Calculus or Calculus test preparation, log into College Board, click on “Change Test Version” and select “Classic Practice Tests.”
Scroll down and click on the last link: “Testing and Education Reference Center.” For students while on campus, no login is needed. For students while off campus, you’ll need to login; email Rodney Wooten at email@example.com to request a password.
Testing Center Coordinator
COA – Elizabeth City: B 209
252-335-0821 ext. 2253